Sunday 22 February 2015

Porcelina's World 5th Birthday!

I can hardly believe it, but Porcelina's World has just turned 5 years old! I think I'm allowed to reminisce and get a bit sentimental.  It's been quite a journey, with somewhat of an evolution of personal style and an adventure into decades of vintage fashion.

Porcelina's World 2010
The first photo of myself I ever put on my blog, back in 2010, after the Lipstick & Curls team had created these amazing victory rolls for a friend's 1940s themed birthday!

Thanks to this blog, I know more about people in different parts of the world, about my readers and fellow bloggers.  I've forged some dear-to-me friendships, and have been constantly learning about things like photography, HTML, ethical and legal issues in blogging, make-up and hair styling, historical costume, antiques, vintage jewellery, caring for vintage clothes, dealing with PR companies, writing, time-management, as well as all the posing for endless photos with cars going past honking their horns.



I'm excited about continuing this blog, and what it holds for the future.  Grand plans are afoot, but I think just keeping it going whilst I tackle a PhD and get married will be a feat in itself!

I'll leave you with lots of outfit photos, from my attempt at a Jane Austen costume, through vintage repro and original vintage dresses to today's charity shop extravaganzas.

Porcelina's World 2010
My Regency style dress that was actually a bridesmaid dress, £1 from the car boot sale!

Porcelina's World 2010
The first vintage repro dress I bought - which was an ill-fitting disaster all the way from Australia and cost me a fortune to have altered!  I don't think I've worn it since.

Porcelina's World 2010
My first Hell Bunny dress

Porcelina's World 2010
An original 1940s peach dress

P4170008
Vivien of Holloway red dress

Porcelina's World 2011
An original 1930s dress, reworked by me (with help!)

Porcelina's World
Feeling Fifties in a dress from Ethel Austin for about £9.  I wish the photographer had noticed the gaping at the bust!

Porcelina's World 2012
Collectif shirt

Porcelina's World 2012
Tesco dress from the car boot sale for a few quid

Porcelina's World 2012
Collectif skirt

Porcelina's World 2013
Laid back '50s casual

Porcelina's World 2013
All modern

Porcelina's World 2013
Traffic People jacket and Tara Starlet dress

Porcelina's World 2013
Lindybop dress

Porcelina's World 2013
Another Lindybop dress

Porcelina's World 2013
Bernie Dexter jeans and Harella jacket

Faux Fur in the Forest
A bit of faux fur and an original mid century necklace


What a whirlwind!  Thank you all for reading.

37 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 5 years of blogging! Your blog and style are both so refreshing and You showcase so many fab and feminine pieces. Also good luck with your wedding and Phd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your blogoversary. Long may you continue! (You're on my 'always-read' list.)

    Was the one in the blue dress shot in Bath? It looks like the location for the Norman Parkinson exhibition. That steel blue 30s dress is a real stunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! And your blog is on mine too ;) Well spotted about the exhibition space - it's the Octagon, and the original post was here: http://porcelinasworld.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/a-day-in-bath-part-2-consuming-nature.html
      x

      Delete
  3. Hooray, happy blogversary! I hadn't seen some of these photos - I love seeing your your style has evolved in a few snaps :) such a shame your first repro dress was a let down though!! Here's to many more amazing ones... xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to the next 5 years. That's going to be a lot of outfit posts mind! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your blogiversary!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on such a milestone anniversary! I love seeing this evolution of your style. Even though your style has evolved, it's always so very you, just the right mix of classy and functional and always so full of character. Here's to many more years!!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Congrats on 5 years of blogging! A lovely post with so many gorgeous outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very happy blogging birthday to you!! Interesting to see how you and the blog have progressed isn't it? Your style is evolving beautifully and I think you always keep it refreshed and individual! I love the casual 50s outfit and the reworked vintage 30s dress! Here's to the next five years! ;) Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 5th birthday! Lots of lovely outfits and photos as always - here's to another 5 years! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 5th blog birthday! What an amazing milestone. I really love the blue lace Tesco dress on you, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow congrats on being live for 5 years. Such an achievement. I am just about to celebrate a year. I do hope my blog is around in another 4 years. Great style as always. I love the blue spotted dress. Thank you for linking up to #StreetStyleSunday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blogging birthday and here's to the next five years! Where's that fabulous photo of you on the beach in your bikini? That's one of my favourites! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your 5th anniversary! :) There are some seriously gorgeous dresses in your collection, like the peach one, or the blue with the lace insert at the neck. Wishing you all the best in continuing with your blog journey, the wedding and the PhD.

    Have a nice week!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your successful five years of blogging! This is a gorgeous collection of looks. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup, blue is your color. I like all these looks, but I love the ones with you in blue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you might be right! I have blue dresses but not so many blue separates to I might work on that x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on 5 years of blogging! So many great looks but one of my favorites is the black and white Lindybop dress! I really enjoy your blog and look forward to seeing more!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the five year mark! That is quite the accomplishment! So many great looks that you have shared over the years! I especially love that cactus skirt by Collectif!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, congrats on the five year anniversary! Wishing you a whole bunch more fun years of blogging! You've got some really beautiful pieces in your wardrobe.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Congratulations on your 5 year blogging anniversary! <3 Also, I learn a little bit more about your all the time! Congratulations and good luck with going after your PhD! <3 Love seeing all these timeline photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your 5 year wow, it is alot of dedication and work. I have really enjoyed seeing your vintage outfits, love somany of your looks. The lace dress, the polka dots and the peach are favorites. I would love to do my hair in victory rolls sometime, but find it harder with fine hair. Yours looked great!
    stop by when you can, jess
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously huge and very happy congratulations, sweet dear!!! It has been a true pleasure following your blog and getting to know you throughout much of the five years you've been online. You are an inspiring, stylish, kind, supportive, smart, insightful, beautiful woman and I feel honoured to know you and to follow your terrific blog.

    Here's to the next five years and beyond!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Jessica, you'll make my head too big, saying all those nice things!!

      But thank you, I'm touched that someone as amazing a blogger as you stops by to read my little old blog, and it really makes me so happy to have made a friend across the pond xx

      Delete
  23. Thanks to all of you for your kind words - and more importantly, for reading in the first place! I am spurred on to keep this blog going for at least another 5 years! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, congratulations on five years, that's amazing! I honestly have no idea how you do it with a PhD, a new house and a wedding to plan. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pics really help me relax after a long day. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Five years! What an amazing accomplishment!!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. 5 years...congrats! I'm just at about 5 months so I've got a ways to go...LOL. Love the outfits, especially the collectif skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. what an amazing post, great pictures. Link up on my blog if you would like to come join us http://bit.ly/1vBWwqu

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on 5 years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your blogiversary! It's fun to look back at some of your outfits.

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week. Have a great weekend!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! I just found your blog 5 years later.I like this effortless way of posing and your good sense of styling!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...