Sunday 16 November 2014

Vintage Inspired Wedding Dresses on a Budget: 1930s

There are lots of vintage inspired dresses at the high end of bridal design, such as Jenny Packham's 1920s and 1930s inspired gowns, or Ritva Westenius, but let's be honest that spending thousands of pounds on a dress is beyond reach of most of us mere mortals.

Fear not, there's a HUGE choice of vintage inspired wedding dresses out there, and all of my suggestions below are under £300.  That's right.  You can have vintage glamour on a budget!  Today I'm focusing on the 1930s, and will be back with more inspiration from other decades as soon as I've scoured the web.

1930's Style Bridal Dresses
Think bias cut slinky evening gowns in silks and satins.  Jean Harlow is your inspiration.

This 1930's 'Siren' evening gown from 20th Century Foxy would be a wonderful choice (£280).

1930s wedding dresses



Or this 'Harlow' gown from Putting on the Ritz is another slinky option (£205).

1930s wedding dresses

Looking at the high street, Ghost at John Lewis has this 'Taylor' dress in ivory (£225).  Remember though that vintage brides used to get married in pastels - try this dress in pink or the pale blue instead?  There are a number of different styles of Ghost dresses, some with cap sleeves and cowl necks, and I remember a few years ago there was a 3/4 sleeve version (try Ebay?).

1930s wedding dresses

Lindybop has this white satin late 1930's style 'Wallis Simpson inspired' dress in their sale section for just £22.99.  Now isn't that a budget-friendly option?  Perfect for an intimate registry office wedding.

1930s wedding dresses

On Etsy you'll find some stunning handmade 1930's evening gown inspired wedding dresses in silks and satins, at around the £300-£500 price mark on average, but the sky seems to be the limit with bridalwear so you'll find some highly expensive ones on there too.

I'd love to know if you've spotted any 1930's inspired affordable bridalwear?
 
Linking up with:

12 comments:

  1. I love that first one.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there were so many affordable options like this out there! Now I can't wait until you get to the 50s... CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some STUNNERS for the '50s, I promise!! And they won't break the bank. x

      Delete
  3. What timelessly beautiful selections! The budget fashionista in me rather adores how incredibly low priced Lindy Bop's elegant, wedding appropriate gown is. I've seen strikingly similar dresses from wedding dress lines for $2,000 or more (of course, the fabric, quality, etc may be better, but is it really going to be 100x better?) and could never fathom paying that for such a relatively simple (though of course gorgeous) style). Thank for reminding brides everywhere that they don't need to break the bank to look like a million dollars on their big day!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these dresses you've picked out! My favorite is the Harlow gown from Putting on the Ritz. What a great touch that cape is! The Taylor dress is also amazing. So simple and elegant at the same time. I also love the Lindybop dress too though. As you said, it would be absolutely perfect for an intimate registry office wedding. Here's another one I like, this is from Blue Velvet Vintage and comes in silver, white, and champagne. http://www.bluevelvetvintage.com/Vintage-Inspired-Silver-Satin-Draped-Back-Evening-Gown.html I could totally see you wearing one of these super lux and sophisticated 1930's style wedding dresses for your wedding <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have I never heard of this shop?!! And the prices are so incredibly reasonable, I am blown away! Thank you so much for the tip - I will definitely look to include some of their fabulous dresses in future posts. xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely dresses, how encouraging to know there are some more reasonably priced options out there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That first gown is stunning! And I think my fave out of this bundle you have put together!

    Right now I can't think of any 30s style wedding gowns or dresses that could pass for wedding gowns lately...but if I do see any I'll be sure to drop you a line!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Siren gown is so splendid! I've been very casually browsing dresses, and while I love a 50s silhouette, it feels a bit, well, popular at the moment, with the tea length and the bright shoes and stuff like that. 30s still has a retro vibe, but is a little bit slinkier and less common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have been slightly put off the '50s look because the mainstream have seized on it, but there are still some amazing '50s choices that could make you change your mind, I guarantee!! You can always style things differently too, which makes a huge difference, perhaps going for a classic white court shoe instead of the bright ones. I thought the '30s was less popular too but if you search, about a million people have done that already too. Though I do like the slinkyness.

      Delete
  8. These are so beautiful! The first dress is my top favorite!!

    ReplyDelete

  9. These are one of the things soon to be couples needs to keep in mind in choosing and getting the wedding cake, definitely it is must! 

    wedding bouquet

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...