Monday 6 October 2014

The Tale of the Engagement Ring Found in the Garden

When my Baby proposed, he didn't present me with a ring.  He knew that I perhaps would want to choose something myself, and he also might have been slightly scared to offer me a ring, given that on more than one occasion I have ranted on about it being an outdated, sexist tradition that came from men making a downpayment on their 'goods'.  And then I might have followed that with a rant about the unethical nature of a lot of the diamond industry, blood diamonds and all, coupled with their stockpiling of gems to inflate the prices, and the whole 'tradition' of a ring being a month's salary coming from a De Beers advertising campaign in the 1930s.

Earlier this year, when we were digging over the patch of garden destined to be our veg patch, I came across this ring, dirty and a bit bashed.  Here it is, in all its unearthed glory.

Garden ring


DSCF2638


After the proposal, my Baby said "I should have brought that ring we found in the garden", and the romance of it appealed greatly.  It was something discovered in the veg patch of our first home together, it doesn't have diamonds in, and it's vintage.  The band has a break in it, so this means that it's also adjustable(!), and fits my finger perfectly! 


As far as date, my thoughts were that as it's got quite a pink tint to it, copper must have been added.  Today we'd call that 'rose gold' but that's a modern term I think.  Adding copper to gold was popular in late Victorian times, and also in the 1930s and 1940s.  Gold generally has other metals added as it's so soft on its own, but different eras used different metals.  It's unmarked, which again could point at it being late Victorian (before they added gold marks), but that could equally mean that it's much later, but so incredibly cheap that it couldn't get a gold hallmark if it tried.  I don't think the indentations look deep enough to have ever held stones, but again I know nothing about jewellery really so that's just a guess.  Is it just a bit of tat, or is it old?  I have no clue.

It pinches my finger terribly, because of the break in the band, so I have since ordered a non-diamond ring from an ethical jewellery company.  It seems that despite all of my feminist rants, I have a magpie-like urge for something sparkly...  Sorry!!


14 comments:

  1. Such an interesting find! I don't think I would want a typical engagement ring either, I would prefer to chose something together in a little junk shop when we are on holiday. The solitaire ring from the high street has no appeal to me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound romantic, I love a junk shop! Far more romance among the dust and tat than you'll ever find in a high street jewellers! x

      Delete
  2. What an interesting story about the ring. I think had I been given the chance to do it all over again I would have chosen a vintage or antique ring, or better yet one passed down from someone in my family. I don't own a diamond ring. We chose to just go with gold bands. I prefer the look and I never hook anything on it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always buy another vintage ring if you fancy one, as a treat to yourself! x

      Delete
  3. I'd love to know the story behind the ring. Have you taken it anywhere to get it tested and dated? It wouldn't cost much to get it soldered, I'm sure. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had a recommendation of a local jewellers so I am going to pop along and ask the man at some point soon! x

      Delete
  4. What a lovely story. Yes, get the ring fixed up so you can wear it without any pinching! Nothing wrong with wanting a pretty ring, but it's good to take account of the ethics of jewellery retail! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really cool story, I would love to hear if you find out anything more definitive about it. And I've actually told my boyfriend that if/when he proposes, I would like an antique pearl ring. I do a fair of feminist ranting myself, but free jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story!

    The engagement ring thing is a bit of an awkward tradition, especially if you are aware of its history. But for me, I love the notion of an engagement ring, and it's nice to have that moment when all of your gal pals want to see it. But like you, I was very concerned about the whole diamond thing, as it is entirely up to the customer to ask and find out about where the diamonds of a store come from. Also they are outrageously expensive. I made if very clear to my husband (then boyfriend) that if we were to get married I would NOT want a diamond. And instead he found me a nice blue topaz from a US jewelry maker on Etsy.

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I can't see past the getting a pretty ring part to ever not want one! Shame on me. I would love to find something this cool in my garden - I'm looking forward to finding out where it's come from! Rose gold is so pretty... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Lovely story ... it's really a piece of jewelry so interesting.... and you can wear on your finger a "piece of history". So romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story of this ring! This ring is something to treasure for sure! I hope you will love your new sparkly ring just as much :) And if not, maybe you can get the break repaired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Style-wise, that looks late Victorian to Edwardian - 1880 to 1910 would be my guess. I've seen a few of that shape. I'd guess it originally had cabochon stones like coral, turquoise or seed pearl, from the fact that there are no prongs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My engagement ring belonged to my grandmother, in fact our grandmother! It was given to me by Tess and I wore it once and the little diamonds fell out so Tom bought a single diamond and we had it set in the old ring and I love it all the more as it is a blend of the old and new. It also reminds me of our grandmother. Does your mum have her mum's old ring which you could update or keep the same - whatever??? Kathryn

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...