Friday 17 October 2014

The Death of the Garden Ring and the Arrival of the Bling Ring

A little while ago, I shared the tale of the engagement ring found in the garden.  Not a day or two later, tragedy struck!  The break in the band snagged on a scarf (a new scarf as well, that now has a bit of a hole in it, how annoying), and the ring was wrenched open.  I pressed it roughly back into shape, and that lunchtime went to the jeweller recommended to me, only to find the shop shut and a handwritten note on the door stating he was on holiday.  I didn't realise that the metal was now weakened, and continued wearing the ring, intending to pop back the next day.  By tea time, it was in two pieces, the band having snapped in a second place.

It was good timing that it happened to be the day that my 'proper' engagement ring arrived in the post, so when I arrived home I had the delight of opening a package that contained this beauty.  The poor lighting in this photo doesn't do justice to how pink the centre stone is, or how sparkly the whole thing is.

The ring


It's not vintage, it's completely modern, but I thought there was a nod to the Art Deco with the stepped design at the sides.  I should point out that all of the original Deco rings I liked were crafted in platinum and diamond, and therefore priced in the chunk-of-mortgage range.  My heart was really set on rose gold anyway, and the pink morganite stone sold it too me.  The rose gold is more flattering against my skin and hair colour than silver or yellow gold, and the scattering of zircons rival diamonds in sparkle.

This one ticks all the boxes for me - ethical, rose gold, affordable, a bit Deco, and something different from the traditional solitaire.  For the first few days it felt odd wearing it, as I am not a sparkly person, but I have quickly become used to it (though I still can't stop looking at it).


Is it too 'bling' for your tastes?  Or do you hanker after a rock to rival one of Liz Taylor's?

18 comments:

  1. I think it's absolutely perfect! I agree that it looks quite Art Deco, and that it is much better to have a beautiful ring which suits you without wasting/investing lots of money which you can use better at this stage of your lives together. I like the idea of eternity rings given decades later when you can both afford to spend more money, instead. And no, it isn't too bling; it's special, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning ring, perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame about the found ring but your replacement is lovely, very Deco in style and the colour and size suit your hand beautifully.
    I'm like you, I'm not generally attracted to sparkle, favouring semi precious stones like turquoise and coral. My hands are big and delicate pieces look odd! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ring is beautiful (although I'm a little sad the other ring broke as I thought the story of it was very sweet! ) lisa Xx (astarfellonher.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh pretty! This is the most unique engagement ring I've seen for a long while. And as much as I only know you through these posts, I feel like it suits you perfectly! I absolutely love rose gold too - good choice! Glad you managed to keep to your principles and still got something you love :) an engagement ring can never be too bling.. surely?! CC x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! It mimics your blog header a bit.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I absolutely LOVE your ring!!! "Art Deco!" is the thought that popped in my head when I first saw the pictures! If I didn't know from reading your post I would have thought it was original vintage. I love the rose gold with the pink morganite! What a great combination. It really emphasizes the beautiful pink colors of the ring! What a great pick! So sorry to hear about your garden ring. Perhaps it's not too late to repair the two breaks? But then again, now that this ring has arrived I wouldn't be surprised if your desire to salvage that ring isn't as much a priority. Still I do love the old ring and the incredible story that goes with it so I hope that is may perhaps be something that's salvageable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll still take the garden ring to the jewellers and see what he says, as it does have sentimental value! I will let you know what happens. Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that others can see the Deco style that I did! X

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about your scarf and the garden ring! But your "proper" ring is gorgeous! It certainly nods to the decor period wonderfully!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is probably one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen. Total class and in so envious. Enjoy it xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so beautiful! It might be modern, but in my opinion it has a vintage-ish look to it :)
    I love bling and more the better. That's why I probably won't be getting a ring, because my bf could never afford one to suit my taste since even the "ugly" simple ones are rather expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of options for affordable rings, I promise you! I am going to do a feature soon about how to get a nice ring for not much money!! X

      Delete
  11. aw it's lovely, i think rose gold is a great choice :)
    x

    // The Dress Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, I absolutely adore it!
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not in the slightest! It's thoroughly gorgeous and has such appealing combination of shimmer and old school-esque charm. I would happily wear it as an engagement, wedding or "everyday" ring myself, no questions asked.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's very beautiful, if the garden ring is unfixable maybe you could have it made into something else?

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...