Sunday 10 August 2014

Example 1930's Interior

Hello there, and first up an apology for the 'radio silence' of late.  I have been rather busy at work and then was lucky enough to go off to Cornwall for a week!  The weather was smashing, and we were quite disconnected from technology with patchy wi-fi and phone connections.  I have an absolute tonne of catching up to do now, but hope to respond to comments, visit your own lovely blogs, and generally re-establish myself in the blogosphere over the next week.  I can't wait to hear what you've all been up to as well.

Following on from my zoo outfit, I thought I'd share some more photos from the Black Country Living Museum the other weekend, where we wandered into an apartment that they've decorated entirely in keeping with the 1930s.  I was really impressed with their attention to detail and wanted to share my photos with you all!  The apartment, whilst decorated in a 1930's style, is housed in a Victorian terrace, and so you will see some details - one of the fire surrounds in the bedroom for example - that reflect that earlier era.

The Lounge
1930s Interior


1930s Interior

1930s Interior

1930s Interior

1930s Interior

1930s Interior

The Dining Room / Parlour
1930s Interior

1930s Interior

A Bedroom
1930s Interior

1930s Interior

I was surprised at some of the wallpapers.  I've put some photos below - the last one here is what I would typically think of for a 1930's bedroom say, the colour palette and design I've seen on dresses and china from the era, but the colours and patterns of the first two feel a bit retro in a 1970's way to me, what do you think?

1930s Interior

1930s Interior

1930s Interior

I think I've mentioned before that we won't be going for a completely authentic 1930's look in our house, we'll do a nod to it here and there, but our style is a bit more eclectic overall.  I think seeing these interiors though was great for inspiration!


What do you think about 1930's interiors?  Are there bits you like more than others?


Linkups:

15 comments:

  1. I love the wallpapers. The art-deco fan motif is absolutely wonderful. I to would highly recommend The Balck Country Museum as a day out. My personal favourite is Gripton's Radio Shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The radio shop was wonderful! We had a great chat to the lady there and learnt a bit more about radios of the era. Thanks for stopping by Simon, I had a listen to a few of your tracks, great stuff! x

      Delete
  2. Oh the dressing table! And the fan wallpaper is fabulous. I like the dark furniture with the peaches - great colour scheme.

    And everyone's allowed a little radio silence now and then - glad you had a good break :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely bits aren't there? It must have felt very modern compared to past decor tastes! I agree the peach and dark wood works particularly well x

      Delete
  3. We had some fabric and wallpaper sample books at the library. Some of the Victorian fabric was so loud in both colour and pattern you would have thought it was straight out of the 1960's psychedelic era! I absolutely love the fan design paper. Some of the furniture is to heavy and chunky for my tastes but I like the fire place and arm chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly like the armchair too, great lines on it. I will have to look up Victorian wallpapers too, sounds amazing that they had wild patterns back then! X

      Delete
    2. It's hideously expensive, but Bradbury and Bradbury do some amazing repro wallpapers, including Victorian sets. If I win the lottery, I'm doing my house in their deco range...

      Delete
  4. Can I just move in and forward my mail right this very moment, pretty, pretty please? :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you don't mind tourists traipsing through?! X

      Delete
  5. Can I just say - it's SO NICE to see deco-era tiled fireplaces left in place! Even today people rip them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an awesome home. I would love to live there... if it were a real house that is ;) I love the wallpaper. I can see what you mean about it seeming a little 70's. I've found through looking at vintage clothes on Etsy and looking around for some 1930's style fabrics that its just so common that elements from different decades would keep repeating or taking from each other. Perhaps that's why some of the wallpaper seems like a 70's style. I think 70's liked to take from the 1930's and 40's.. same as how I've seen a lot of 80's fashion liked to be influenced by 40's and 50's. ?

    I'm glad you got to get away for a week and away from internet and technology... sounds like a great week away! Sometimes it's nice to be forced into leaving the phone and computer at home! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fireplaces. I think there are a lot of elements here that could be incorporated into a conte, porary room without looking out of place. I would love an art deco mirror, I think it would fit in with my current style (modern, lots of black).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep looking at these images.
    ..and I keep coming back to them. :)
    The entire place is something I would very much like to copy&paste to a house I'll have one day (one day!). The wallspapers are absolutely divine, and the toned-down furniture is so stylish.. AND there is no trace of plastic! :)
    I think I'll keep coming back here.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...