Wednesday 7 May 2014

Taking Stock

I feel as though I've been on a bit of a treadmill, does anybody else get that feeling?

My blog turned 4 years old in February, and I didn't mention it because I hadn't planned anything special.  I also thought that I haven't 'made it' as a blogger yet, not if you measure it by things like number of followers, or whether you make any money from it (not a penny!).  So, because I let that anniversary slide by, I would like to 'big up' my blog a bit now, because quite frankly, running a blog for 4 years when you're also working full time, you've bought your first house, had a family bereavement, and have been working your way up the career ladder is actually quite an achievement!  So, here's stuff that I'm proud of.

QOV 

Crowned Queen of Vintage No.150!
Some of you have found out about this already, but recently I had the honour of being bestowed with the title of 'Queen of Vintage'!  Below is a screenshot of the article on the Queens of Vintage website, but click here to read the full article.  I'm absolutely honoured, thrilled and delighted to be joining other Vintage Queens such as the fabulous Jessica of Chronically Vintage, and Fleur from Diary of a Vintage Girl.

Photoshoots
I'm so incredibly pleased with what you can achieve with a lot of forward planning, some great natural lighting, and an inexpensive compact camera (in the hands of my talented other half, who did photography A-level, so he's got some skills!).  That doesn't mean I'm still not going to treat you to those lovely dimly lit changing room snaps taken on my mobile...

These last six months have been a whirlwind, and I've enjoyed working with brands such as Corset Story and Fever clothing.

photoshoot montage

My favourite was the Hitchcock Heroine photoshoot, and I have lots more ideas for other Hitchock-esque shoots, so watch this space.

Videos
I have my own Youtube 'channel' now!  Tee hee!  Doing videos feels far more exposing than writing and using photographs, and I can't watch the videos back without cringeing slightly.  I keep telling myself, "It's good for me", and that presenting is a transferrable skill.  I have so many more ideas for videos, but if you have any suggestions then please send them my way.

Community
I would really, really like to meet up with more fellow bloggers.  It's hard and lonely sometimes being a blogger, just you and your laptop!  I'm looking forward immensely to the 30-40 blogger meet-up being arranged by Catherine from Not Dressed As Lamb that will be going ahead in September in Reading.

Contests
I was shortlisted for the January 2014 Blogger of the Month award by British Style Bloggers.  I also entered the Wales Blog Awards for the first time, but didn't get anywhere.  I'd like to enter more contests and really try and push myself into enhancing my blogging skills and stepping it up a notch.  Onwards and upwards!



The future
I'm planning more giveaways, and more collaborations, so if you're a brand or a fellow blogger with an idea then please be sure to drop me an email or a tweet!  I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

Anyway, I am currently enjoying a week off work, to relax and recharge my batteries a bit.  It's my birthday tomorrow and I've already celebrated in flapper style at a joint party with my other half on the weekend.  There's lots to do in the garden and around the house, and I'm hoping to get enough sunshine to be able to explore some of the breathtaking Rhondda landscape that I'm new to living in.

I hope that you all remember to take time out for yourselves when you need it, and to give yourself some credit every now and again!  Sometimes we forget just how far we've come if we're always looking at where we've yet to get to.  I always thought that by now (I'm turning 35, eek!) I would be a super career woman with a fat salary and a high powered job where I was travelling the world.  My life may have turned out very differently to what I imagined, but I'm very happy to be staying put in one beautiful spot, grateful to have true love, and to have the creativity to live like a queen on a serving wench's budget!  I'm content with where I am right now, and I don't want to take that for granted.

THANK YOU
to all of my readers, old and new
For your words of support, constructive criticism, 
and for being a friendly voice in the huge online world

26 comments:

  1. Congrats on doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post and happy birthday for tomorrow!
    It's so important for bloggers to take a step back and look at how far they have come in their blogging journey! Lots think 'making it' as a blogger is only determined by thousands of followers, amazing fashion-y invites and magazine features, but it's not the case at all!
    Joelle
    xx
    FebruaryGirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Step back duly taken! Thanks for stopping by Joelle, P x

      Delete
  3. Happy Blog Birthday!! Blogging takes a lot of time. Keeping up the momentum for 4 years whilst doing all the other things is to be applauded, and I think its a really great blog. Love your vintage style !!
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 4 years! My blog recently turned three, but it feels like I just started it yesterday because I have that much more to learn. I really should do something like this to see how far I've come too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defiitely taking stock is a great thing to do! I'm not very good in any aspect of my life at blowing my own trumpet, but my Other Half is used to writing press stuff, and he has promised to help me get better at it!! I'd love to see what you post about your own blogging journey, congrats on 3 years. P x

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on four years. You have accomplished so much. Being a blogger can be so hard. It feels sometimes as thougn hardly anyone is listening. I hear you. But you have come so far. I want to push myself this year, too. But, dang, the time commitment and the fear of failure. Good for you for taking initiative.

    Happy early birthday!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, don't get me started on fear of failure!! That's a whole other issue!! Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, both for me and my blog! P x

      Delete
  6. Ok first of all Hitchcock Heroine photoshoot, just that makes this post really cool!! Love his movies and the distinct styling of the ladies there. The real point of this post though is that blogging is very hard work especially with other responsibilities but you're doing pretty good for yourself lady! Congrats! <3<3 XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fabulous things you have achieved, I must say your photo shoots are always stunning and your you tube video is great you sound just as adorable as I imagined! Loving the new look to your blog too the deco style suits it perfectly, wishing you a very Happy Birthday and lots more blogging success!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Wendy, thanks for popping over. (And to anyone else reading this, GO TO WENDY'S BLOG and marvel at the peplum dress she has just sewn!!) P x

      Delete
  8. Congrats on four years of what I'm sure is hard work and for the Queens of Vintage achievement - amazing! I completely agree with you that it's easy to get trapped inside yourself when you're writing a blog and feel a bit blah about it all, especially when you're trying to have a career at the same time.

    So it's important to remember you're doing a great job - 'cos you are :) CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very positive outlook CC, I shall try and keep that chin up!! P x

      Delete
  9. Good for you! It's hard work to write a blog, and it sounds like you've had some cool accolades along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Refreshing post! Congratulations on all your achievements! Congratulations on your 4 year blogging anniversary! Congratulations on being crowned Queen of Vintage :) and also last but not least, Happy Birthday!!! I love birthdays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers lady! I love birthdays too, I feel a bit sad now it's all over!! P x

      Delete
  11. Happy 4 years! Maybe see you in Reading in September. I'm on the list, just depends on when the baby arrives and how I'm feeling by then etc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love to meet you in person Lou, so fingers crossed it all works out. I hope some of the other A57 ladies are going also? Not long until baby comes now surely?! P x

      Delete
  12. Hello Porcelina! Congratulations on 4 years of blogging! I am duly impressed by what you have achieved and I am truly inspired by your thoughtful writing and stunning fashion style. I'm going to start following you by email so I can continue to be inspired! ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very sweet thing to say Ann! I've been digging things out for your linkup swap, hope to join in next time. P x

      Delete
  13. Aaw, this was such a nice blog post and grats on blogging for 4 years already! I have to say I would have never thought you're above 30 years old as you look much younger. :) Happy birthday also.
    I'm turning 25 on September and I also had some naive plans about how my life should be at that age. I realized I'm not even half way through my plans, so maybe I'll just stop making any and go with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your beautiful blog and I will be hopefully reading it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...