Friday 16 May 2014

Jacquard Skirt by Gok for Sainsbury's

Something a little bit different from me today, with a skirt from Sainsbury's TU clothing.

Now, you all know that I love picking out vintage inspired looks from 'normal' shops!  I'd had a peek at some of Gok Wan's range for TU and had been impressed with some of the classic styling, so I was very pleased to be sent this skirt by Sainsbury's to try out.  Described as a '50s style flirty full skirt, it's a lovely thick jacquard fabric in navy with gold pattern, and is fully lined.  Priced at £32, it comes in two lengths.

Gok Skirt


It's always fun being sent a mystery item rather than picking one out, as it forces you outside of your usual style zone.  While I do like this skirt, I have to admit that it's definitely not one I would have picked out myself.  I received the 'short' length, and it's really short on my 5'9" frame compared to the '50s style skirts I normally wear.  I also don't tend to wear much metallic, maybe just on accessories.  This skirt said to me 'party' and I had flashbacks to the 1980's when my sister bought me a green taffeta skirt from Tammy Girl, and I wore it with white tights with little diamante bows on the ankles!  So, to steer clear of the '80s, it became my challenge to make this skirt more wearable for day, and I ended up doing more of a 1960's look in the end, with a Peter Pan collar, dolly shoes and alice band.

Gok Skirt
Skirt: Gok for TU at Sainsbury's
Cardigan: Mango
Peter Pan collar blouse and shoes: Primark

Gok Skirt

Gok Skirt

And this is what happens when you wear a short skirt with a lot of fabric and try to photograph it on the side of a mountain where it's very windy...  So much for location shooting.

Gok Skirt

Gok Skirt

What do you think of my attempt at 'toning it down' - would you wear it for day, or would you wear it as a party skirt?

There are some other super vintage-inspired alternatives at Sainsbury's currently - I recently tried on a gorgeous 'Stop Staring' style white pencil dress that screamed 1930's with its covered buttons and rear kick pleat (view it online here).  Alas, not my dress in terms of fit, but if you're shorter than me it could work for you!  Have you found any great vintage inspiration in Sainsbury's lately?

32 comments:

  1. That is a great skirt! I'd definitely wear it most of the year round for work and play to be honest. Worth £32 IYO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quality is really good, so if I had a specific event in mind for it, or was head-over-heels for it, then I wouldn't hesitate at that price! P x

      Delete
  2. Ohhh that Jacquard Skirt is stunning Porcelina. Also loving your Mary Janes and Headband. I am a huge fan of Mary Jane Shoes (check yesterday's outfit!!) and Headbands especially ones with bows.

    Looking Great!!

    Enjoy the weekend, Ada. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had noticed your love of Mary Jane shoes Ada! Hope you're having a good weekend also, P x

      Delete
  3. You look so adorable! I love that skirt and your bow hairband. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog:)
    Marta xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marta! It's always nice to visit new blogs isn't it? P x

      Delete
  4. Hi there. I like vintage inspired looks as well. I love the color of your cardi, and then the skirt is so cute, the flowy nature and print are lovely.
    Please stop by

    Jess

    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this skirt, and your entire look. That Peter Pan detail with your sweater really makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulette! Sometimes things come together more than you think they will. P x

      Delete
  6. I *really* like the print, and I think you did a great job at making it appropriate for day! The cardi is what really does the trick, I think. It's such a warm color, and it minimizes the metallic "party" feel. So pretty and I love it with the collar!

    Cheers!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I was a bit unsure to be honest but seems like I did pull it off! P x

      Delete
  7. That's a lovely skirt and I really like your styling of it - The thing that just finishes off the whole outfit is the headband - How cool!
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, appreciate you stopping by! P x

      Delete
  8. That skirt is so pretty! It's probably so versatile also. I love the orange paired with it! ;)

    God bless,
    XO, Claire
    http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Claire! P X

      Delete
  9. The skirt is beautiful - I love gold brocade!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice skirt, but I don't like the metallic print too much. I could wear it for day though since I love "glamour" in everyday life and I've had some less successful attemps at toning down full satin skirts for everyday use too :D
    I wish we could buy Gok's clothes here in Finland, I bet they're really nice. I used to watch Gok's Fashion Fix all the time, it was my favourite show :) Too bad they don't show it here anymore, but I don't even know if there are more than 2 seasons in total. I wish there was though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you can pick up loads of Gok stuff from Ebay, here's a quick search I did:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=gok+gold+skirt&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgok+dres&_nkw=gok+dress&_sacat=0

      Just look for keywords "Gok", "TU" or "Sainsburys". Happy hunting! P x

      Delete
  11. I think you did a great job styling this skirt for daywear! And I love the peter pan collar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I think it looks lovely on you and you've done a great job of making it 'Day' wear, the sixties look really suits you!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wendy, I'm trying to get out of '40s and '50s style rut!! P x

      Delete
  13. I think you've done an excellent job at tempering its party personality. The dark tights and classic cardi (plus cute bow headband) really promote it to the ranks of a daytime appropriate piece that seems more elegant and glam than night out wild.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! It might be a bit wild with no tights, because I would be flashing my knickers in that short length!! P x

      Delete
  14. cute skirt. i love the pattern. :) Irene Wibowo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute skirt and shoes!! LOVE your graphics btw!!

    xox
    cattyfashion.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, the graphics are new! I'm glad someone else other than myself likes them! P x

      Delete
  16. Wow that's a surprise! Can't believe your skirt is Sainsbury's! I do like metallic on clothing, the skirts a great length on you, you may be tall but I don't think it looks too short at all.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...