Friday 9 May 2014

Birthday Adventure: Taf Fechan Valley

Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes!  Yesterday was a fun day, despite the atrocious weather.  It rained, non-stop, the whole day.  But when you're British, you don't let the weather stop you, else you'd never leave the house.  So off in the car we went, heading up to the Southern edge of the Brecon Beacons.

First stop was a second-hand furniture store, but nothing exciting there, so we went around some charity shops in Merthyr of all places (it was en route!).  It's not one of those places that's a 'destination', as a lot of it is the usual depressing array of betting shops, cheap clothes shops, Wetherspoons and kebab places that you generally find in historically deprived Valley's towns, but as always, we are spoilt silly with history here in the UK, and if you look for them, there are a few architectural gems.  The magnificent Grade II listed Old Town Hall dating from 1896 caught my eye straight away, as did a water fountain outside a church.

Birthday Trip Out

Birthday Trip Out

Alas, I will remember our visit most as the place where I found the most ridiculously expensive Tenovus on the planet (£45 for a second hand dress, Hobbs, but still, second hand - you can get one new in the sale for that price!!).  My other half fared much better and picked up a 1960's jacket for £1 in a different shop.  There's a lovely looking tea room, Flook's, at the top of Merthyr, just down from a great little antique's shop where we had a good browse, I'll have to try it out another day, but we had to press on.

Just a few miles north of Merthyr and you're suddenly in the depths of the countryside, with winding roads snaking their way down valleys that reminded me of West Wales.  It was very beautiful and atmospheric in the mist and rain. In the unpronouncable village of Pontsticill we found a cosy pub, The Red Cow Inn, awaiting with a real fire burning in the hearth, so we stopped off there to dry off and refuel.

Birthday Trip Out

After a good meal and being warmed up, we headed off again in the car, driving alongside the Pontsticill Reservoir.  It's pretty, forested landscape, and further up there are more reservoirs, and a starting point for those wishing to do the long walk up to Pen Y Fan, South Wales' highest peak.  I'm saving that walk for a fine day when the views will reward me.

Birthday Trip Out

Birthday Trip Out

Birthday Trip Out

On the way back, we stopped at Pontsarn viaduct and had a stroll across it.  Another pretty spot that would be well worth doing a proper walk along when the weather's better.

Birthday Trip Out

Birthday Trip Out

Birthday Trip Out

We headed home then, for a relaxed evening, watching a film, drinking Prosecco, eating chocolate and watching the latest episode of Nashville.  I was quite spoilt, receiving some Hendrick's gin, books, plants, a couple of skirts for work, chocolate, make-up, Ted Baker bubble bath, and an Elvis karaoke DVD!  I bought myself some shoes also. My main present from my other half has been some hard work, as I bought a vintage dressing table last week and he's been painstakingly revamping it for me.  I'll be sure to share some before and after pictures once it's finished, it's looking good.

Do you go on days out in the rain?  Or do you think that's crazy?!

Birthday Trip Out

16 comments:

  1. Joyful slightly belated birthday wishes, my dear friend!!! I'm delighted to know that you had a great birthday and hope that the coming year is one of the best ever for you (complete with lots of vintage goodies throughout every month).

    Countless hugs!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you lovely Jessica, very sweet of you xx

      Delete
  2. Absolutely we go on days out in the rain - skin is waterproof right?! ;-) That's what I always tell myself when it's raining at running time anyway. As you say, you'd never go anywhere otherwise. Glad you had a wonderful day - belated happy birthday!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! Absolutely skin is waterproof! I think it's quite invigorating to feel the elements against my skin. P x

      Delete
  3. First off, happy belated birthday!! These are beautiful pictures. That is some truly stunning architecture up top. (Also, I love your skirt!)

    I'm glad you had a fun birthday!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, glad you like the photos - yup, it's amazing what architecture you can find in the most unlikely places!! P x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure. The countryside and Pontsticill Reservoir area you went to look amazing. The Red Cow Inn with the fire burning in the hearth sounds like a perfect stop for a wonderfully misty day! Too bad you didn't get to stop for a tea service at the tea place. Hopefully next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hankering after a real fire at home now, it really does make you instantly feel cosy to stare at flames in a hearth! P x

      Delete
  5. Happy belated birthday, dear Porcelina! It looks like a wonderful adventure, I love the rain, everything is fine as there is no wind. I wish that you continue sharing another wonderful year with us, many new adventures to share here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosy, I agree that rain is fine without the wind!! And yes, there will undoubtedly be adventures to come... P x

      Delete
  6. Days out in the rain are fine if you can go home and get warm and dry afterwards! I'm glad to hear you had a good day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally stripped off my damp clothes as soon as I got home and got under my duvet to warm up properly!! Quick nap and I was ready for the evening session of the celebrations then! P x

      Delete
  7. So glad he had a good birthday. You look lovely. That landscape is gorgeous. And the sheep... So cute. I cannot wait to see the revamped furniture. That is a sweet gift!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenni - the landscape is honestly breathtaking, and SO CLOSE to civilisation! Will get some pics of the dressing table up soon, it's looking fabulous. P x

      Delete
  8. Glad that despite the rain you had a good birthday! And nice present haul... I particularly love your shoe present to your self; they're gorgeous. I don't know if this is a weird comment, but I really like your umbrella! I'm on the look out for a new one to replace mine, which is a freebie, so you can imagine how well that does in the English wind :S CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are 'Bowes Palace' or something, from a few seasons back, but they are based on actual 1950's shoes that Clarks made back in the day! I feel all kittenish in them, am road testing them indoors today before I get some anti-rain spray to coat them with.

      I love that umbrella too - TK Maxx! I also have been using a freebie rubbish one, which I've left on the train, so I need another pretty everyday one that folds up small enough for my handbag. Let me know if you find any good ones!! P x

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...