Monday 16 December 2013

1920s and 1930s Inspired Christmas Party Dresses!

It's time to think about being a more glamorous version of yourself as we launch ourselves into the festive party season.  With a huge range of vintage-inspired frocks on the high street this season, thanks I'm sure in no small part to the popularity of The Great Gatsby film and costume dramas like Downton Abbey, you're really spoilt for choice.

My suggestions below are really a nod to an era - if you want a full blown vintage look then you can source vintage reproduction items off the internet from places like 20th Century Foxy and Revival Retro.

1920s
1920s Inspired Christmas Party Outfits



The cheat here is the much cheaper New Look dress - it's quite short, so if you wanted to be a bit more authentic looking I'd actually layer this over a longer black slip. The treat is the utterly gorgeous Monsoon dress, and it has sleeves too!  Perhaps this is one to watch for the sales, because of the hefty price tag.  I saw one very similar too in my local Hobbs outlet store for under £130.

1930s
I'll be honest - I found it really hard to find many 1930's inspired dresses at the cheaper end of the scale, so these are both fairly pricey.  And I just checked about the gold dress, and it's sold out already!  But it gives you an idea of what kind of thing you can find on the High Street if you look hard.  If you're on a small budget, I will drop a hint that those Ghost dresses from John Lewis always seem to get reduced in price in the sales...

1930s Inspired Christmas Party Dresses



Ghost cocktail dress / Topshop dress, £120 / John Lewis coat / Wine Devore Tassel Kimono / Miss L Fire pumps, £115 / Office shoes

Are you planning a 1920s or 1930s look over Christmas?  I'd love to know if you're going to be wearing vintage, repro, or high street!

2 comments:

  1. Ooohh, now aren't both of these looks show-stoppingly beautiful and just as glam as glam can be! I'll be my usual 40s and 50s self this holiday season, complete with a great red and white fifties style halter dress from Blue Velvet Vintage, which I hope to debut on my blog later this week.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the search for the perfect silk kimono jacket, but I must admit I'm keeping it repro this year, apart from a 30s fur stole I NEED to wear and enjoy, I left it sitting pretty on the shelf last year...
    Not long to go now! Katie

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...